From specialist groups in emerging topics to advocacy groups promoting public policy, communities are at the basis of developments in microbiology. We have invited experts from all fields to come to host meet & greets, book signings and conversations about topics that matter to these communities.
Diversity in STEM
Welcome to the Community Corner, the living room of the FEMS Congress. Here, we take a different approach to networking because networking should be about helping each other out. It should help you create or become part of a community where you can learn from each other, inspire each other and discover how together you are stronger. Join us for Community Corner Conversations where we will discuss why it is important to embrace diversity to build inclusive communities. You can expect discussion of topics such as: What are challenges that prohibit the microbiology community from becoming or staying a diverse community? What are challenges for specific groups in this community? What steps can be taken to address and tackle barriers? Join us at the FEMS Booth for your chance to discuss your ideas to improve and enhance diversity with different experts.
- Monday 8 July 2019, 17:00 - 17:30 Women in STEM | Chair: Clare Taylor | With: Pascale Cossart, Toby Kiers & Hilary Lappin-Scott
- Tuesday 9 July 2019, 17:00 - 17:30 LGBT+ in STEM | Chair: Clare Taylor | With: invited participants
- Wednesday 10 July 2019, 17:00 - 17:30 STEM in Africa| Chair: Clare Taylor | With: invited participants
A book or publication is much more than words on a screen. Meet the people responsible for sharing the science and learn how to share yours.
- Monday 8 July 2019, 18:30 - 19:00 Book signing Pascale Cossart, The New Microbiology: From Microbiomes to CRISPR
- Tuesday 9 July 2019, 18:30 - 19:00 Book signing Laura Bowater, The Microbes fight back: Antibiotic Resistance
- Wednesday 10 July 2019, 17:45 - 18:15 Meet the editors
Faster, easier lab documentation with the world’s first AI and voice-powered lab assistant (LABTWIN)
LabTwin is the world’s first voice and AI-powered lab assistant. Scientists can access published data, take notes, record results, create supply lists, and set timers or reminders from anywhere in the lab just by talking to LabTwin.
- Tuesday 9 July 2019, 15.30-16.00 | Speaker: Guru Singh, Head of Growth in LabTwin GmbH
The role of microbiology societies
How can Member Societies take part in International Microorganism Day, and raise awareness among society on the role of microorganisms in our lives?
- Monday 8 July 2019, 17:45 - 18:15 The role of microbiology societies
Microbiology in Hamburg
Will Germany be the next stop for your career? It could very well be! The next FEMS Congress venue, Hamburg, is a city that is renowned for its research and prestigious facilities. Why it is relevant for microbiology, is no mystery to Professor Aepfelbacher from DGHM. He will share his inside knowledge on the science in and around the city.
- Tuesday 9 July 2019, 17:45 - 18:15 Microbiology in Hamburg | Speaker: Martin Aepfelbacher